Balance: $18.66
Left to go: $81.34

Click here to expand donation informationCurrent Donations
View Thread
DoGz Gaming Clan » Public Forums » Public Chat
 Print Thread
Taking a knee........
Scooby
Just my 2 cents.... You live in, and are a citizen of, a country and work for a business(es) that holds you to following the rules. Yet when it comes to paying homage to your country through that countries anthem, you take a knee? I understand making a statement, but you disrespect all those that came before you that allowed you to have the freedoms and benefits of where you live. Your statements in reference to why you are doing it, paint your other fellow countrymen as racist or bigoted ... again bullshit. Solution.... find another damn country that fits the narrative of what you think a perfect utopia is and move there.

I served my country and put my life on the line for you. Show us that DID put our lives on the line a little damn respect! WE earned it! With all the money these athletes make, use some of it to better your fellow man rather than talk shit and beat down the country you call home! How often do we hear these rich spoiled people sit there and lament about how horrible it is for a Hispanic or a black person? Yet how often do you see or hear of theme going down to the poorer parts of the city and just randomly repairing a persons house or buying them a newer car? Nothing extravagant need I mind you.. could be new Kia. But when you got millions, what is a new Kia? You better the plight of your fellow man, it betters their life and they typically will pass it on. There are millions of people out there that are in need of something to help themselves or their families..... step up and quit bashing us that have contributed to your safety and ability to make those millions!

Just my thoughts....

Scooby

JoonBug
I'm assuming you're talking about Kaepernick?

I'm pretty sure he didn't bash those who fought for the US. Rather, he said there are issues in the country that needs addressing, like police brutality. His method of protesting is 'peaceful' and is covered under the Constitution of the US.

Of course, that doesn't mean you have to agree with him. Disagree for reasons x, y and z, but shouldn't his right to say it be defended to the death? Isn't that what they (the people who served) fought for? Where is the freedom if you have to walk on egg shells your entire life?

I don't agree that this is a display of disrespect to those who have served. What better form of appreciation is there for the troops' sacrifice than for all Americans to fully exercise their rights and freedoms?

I'm sure he's thankful to be living in a country where he doesn't get killed/jailed for sharing his opinion. I'm also sure he is very thankful to those who fought for his right to do so. These are just my thoughts and I hope civil discussion can continue.

Sepharo
Well said Joon.
Civil disobedience / protest especially in a peaceful way is a major American value.

badseed
the NFL has become a joke. I fully agree with Scooby, and a big thanks by the way! Its really sad to have this stuff spill over into the game. multiple different thoughts on this..

1. move to a different land
2. resign form the team and form a group to help identify/fix issues.
3. protest on your own dime.
4. find a different vehicle for your message.(the anthem should never be used for this)

the media should never show these guys in protest. it's not why either one of them are there. I'd like to see the coach make them stay in the locker room until the game starts. oh ya let dallas have their tribute decal too.

I don't think I'd last long at my place of employment for protesting something non work related. it's not the place or time for this. i'll repeat myself, its a joke.
"Don't let yourself get attached to anything you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you feel the heat around the corner."

Scooby
I've actually stopped watching football now because of this. I'm bummed. I believe in a demonstration... I get it make your piece and move on. This ongoing slight is too much.
I did find solace though... Apparently a female soccer player, who had started taking a knee during the anthem, forced the next team they played to play the anthem BEFORE her team came out. In their released statement they said they thought it took away from the game and felt her personal feelings had no place in the game.
That being said. I'm paying money for my cable. My money helps pay the NFL. The NFL is a business. Vote with the channel selector. I'll say this. I don't force my beliefs on anyone, I don't feel it is right for anyone to force theirs on me.
I believe in free speech... I just don't agree with people ruining an experience you paid for... continuously.

Scooby

Science_Ninja
I think the basis for his protest has become somewhat skewed by the media. As Joon pointed out, it started as a way of protesting the disproportionate level of police shootings of blacks. However, various media and social outlets have morphed it into a "he hates the military and this country".

I've seen calls from the public (twitter and facebook feeds) for more black athletes and celebrities to engage in just this sort of protest because of the amount of social influence they wield, in the hope they can help make social and justice reform more prominent. It's an interesting dichotomy - I certainly agree that sport is sport and I watch it for just that, not for viewing an athlete's personal beliefs. Nonetheless, there's no denying that sports is a powerful mechanism for engaging public discourse. Just look at what we're doing right now!

Go Giants! (I know, we suck right now, but still)

SKDevilDog
Hola! I've been MIA in Dogz for awhile (blame Overwatch), but I'll chime in here.

1st, some background. Emigrated to the States from South Korea at a very young age. Served in the Marines and fought in the war in Iraq. (Put those together and you get my tag SKDevilDog woohoo!)

So like many vets, I really don't like Colin's method of protest because, like Scooby, it is seen as disrespectful to those who fight past and present for our Constitution. That being said, he sees an issue here that is not being addressed properly. Not enough people talking and taking action to make change. So he decided to peacefully protest in a way that would get tons of people talking about the issues which he is concerned about, and it worked! People are riled up because of Colin's actions, and when they find out why exactly he is doing what he is doing, it gets even more conversation started on police and deadly force.

He got the results he was looking for, and did it legally and without hurting anyone. The only casualty is the pride of patriots, which when you put it into perspective, is ok with me. In addition, he did mention that he has the utmost respect for police and military and has no ill will towards them, which I can accept.

For those that think that he could have found another way to protest, in my opinion, the more common methods just are not effective and I feel that deep down everyone knows this. Forming a little group and holding signs and chanting is easy to ignore. Protesting during the anthem is more in your face. The key is IT MAKES YOU UNCOMFORTABLE! Which in turn makes you talk. Which in turn was his goal.

So yeah, I don't like his choice of protest as a veteran, but I can respect the fact that he is exercising his rights in way that gets the message across peacefully. I'd prefer this any day over execution of Dallas cops and blocking freeways during rush hour. Just remember, this is one of many examples of why this country is so great. How many other countries out there would have had Colin immediately arrested and/or executed for such an act?

BENGAY
Huh, I had a feeling the SK in your name stood for South Korea.

SKDevilDog
That's because you are a horse with mind powers! OGGMF!

Jump to Forum: