Balance: $18.66
Left to go: $81.34

Click here to expand donation informationCurrent Donations
View Thread
DoGz Gaming Clan » Public Forums » Public Chat
 Print Thread
Powerline Networking
Magus
looking for an easy way to expand the network at home, it was suggested to use Powerline Networking + an additional wireless router.

Has anyone ever used powerline networking or has first hand experience with using it/setting it up/info on drawbacks?

the main reason i've gotta do it this way is the router is in the basement (apparently a really bad spot for it) but we cant move it without rewiring everything attached to it...so for us simple solution is better and the suggestion of powerline networking is interesting.

the main goal of it is to just have the powerline network go from the room the router is currently in, to a wireless router on the 2nd floor in hopes of giving us the additional wireless range that we need.
gameme.dogzgaming.com/sig/93724_101.png

Bloodmanic
https://www.youtu...ue1Zvmh8JA
gameme.dogzgaming.com/sig/464897_101.png

Magus
oh thanks blood. that was super helpful.
guess now all i need to do is figure out a budget XD

Bloodmanic
no problem. I thought about doing it myself. was just too lazy and went with a good wireless router and a signal booster instead. instead. Mine is also in the basement.
gameme.dogzgaming.com/sig/464897_101.png

terrowrist
You mean power over ethernet (POE). You can do that. You can also buy a AP (access point) and connect that via POE to your router. With the access point on the 2nd room, your computers can connect to that and the router will handle the DHCP/routing traffic.
"Nobody really knows what they're doing. We're all just trying to figure out what makes us happy."

Magus
So what we ended up doing was the POE/powerline deal and a 2nd router. got it all up and running today and i have both routers acting as one sort of so that both are using the same ids/pw and now have extended wireless throughout the house.

as expected the 5G is still weak in some spots, but the 2.4g is much more available throughout.

overall, happy with the outcome.

Magus
As a side note, the ping from the computers connected to the new ip is obviously quick,
the connection from the computers -> new router -> powerline -> old router is between 5-10ms. so overall, not too shabby.

Abomin4tion
I would of just ran cat 6 through the house and had ports in every room
gameme.dogzgaming.com/sig/232730_601.png

Jump to Forum: