Amount in: $20.00
Balance: $18.66
Left to go: $81.34

Click here to expand donation informationCurrent Donations
View Thread
 Print Thread
Provide Access To An Active Admin
That One Guy
I want to start this thread off with stating that my understanding is that there are a lot of people that care about this community, but there are NO active admins with access to make any changes to server files. I think the best is intended, but is not achieved because it is not possible through those that are willing due to access. My sole question is this:

Is there anyone that can make changes server side that the community can work through.

The biggest changes that are apparent is the need to make voting not include spectators that are not participating in the vote (i.e. are AFK). The server DAILY dies to crappy maps because we cannot RTV with the number of spectators. Dont get me wrong - spectators are GOOD - they help keep the server populated when people check player count. The solution is NOT kick spectators (which would also require a plugin that requires someone with server access...so same dilemma). The solution is to just not include spectators in votes unless they participated in the vote. There are several threads requesting this in the forums. This not only affects maps but also vote banning hackers. Note: Other threads requesting the same thing: [#1] [#2] [#3]

There are also other changes that, if someone had access, should be discussed further as a community. However, the votes vs spectators is the biggest one that I see kill the server DAILY. [If someone had access] you could even install a plugin to track this and show how certain maps kill the server.

I am advocating for what I believe is in the best interest of the community. If there is someone with access, please give a name and I (along with others, no doubt) will appeal directly to them. We all want this community to continue, as it is great to see known players and spend time gaming together. I feel like this community is helpless right now though because no one with access to make change is there. Please tell me otherwise and let me know the path forward. Great server! Let's keep it from falling under despite dwindling population in CS:S.

Cheers,

-The One
Edited by That One Guy on 08-01-2023 22:15
----------------------------------------------------------

- Sourcemod programmer, civil engineering, etc.
In-Game Name: The One

www.togcoding.com
That One Guy
Side notes: I also think if we had an active admin with access, there is a lot we could do to support the servers financially with non-pay-to-win donator perks. Not really that important to me, but it might be important to those running Dogz and could be an incentive for them allowing someone to manage the servers more actively. To be clear - I dont think the focus should be financial, but I believe many would participate if they enjoy this server and there was minor incentives. Just another prompt to get an active admin with server access. I can even provide many such plugins.

Hoping for the best for the community and a continued place to enjoy some gungame! #bestgamemode

www.togcoding.com
Waterpumpee
I agree with needing some sort of server-privileged admin actually present. The couple of minor tweaks mentioned would drastically improve the experience and have my full support.
i.imgur.com/ZU20s7G.gif

Tex Mex
Totally agree with One guy.

Adina_Cross
110% agreed

Sir Egglicious Knifealot
Agree.
The server would get a lot better if these things were fixed!
Would also be fun with a voting system providing maps not in the rotation Smile
Efficiency is nothing but clever laziness.

That One Guy
And to prevent 1-spam bias, I would also recommend making it so option 1 in all votes is "no vote". They can always !revote, but it cuts out the bias of 1-spam.

www.togcoding.com
That One Guy
Does anyone have TigerOx on Steam or another way to contact him?

If he gave a trusted/active admin access, if training is the issue, I can help and dont even personally need access. I can have them screen share and help them with plugins, maps, etc.

www.togcoding.com
DKC
Thanks for bringing this up Guy - appreciate you.

badseed
You could try pm'ing him. i have him on steam. he's been active 8 months ago.
"Don't let yourself get attached to anything you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you feel the heat around the corner."

That One Guy
badseed wrote:

You could try pm'ing him. i have him on steam. he's been active 8 months ago.

I've tried PM'ing him on these forums before and got no response...perhaps because he doesnt know me or maybe never saw it. Can you try messaging him on Steam?

EDIT: Shot him another PM asking him to read this thread. Please still reach out on Steam though since I dont know if he even gets notifications via email from forum PMs, if his email is still valid, etc.

www.togcoding.com
That One Guy
DKC wrote:

Thanks for bringing this up Guy - appreciate you.

Thanks bro!

www.togcoding.com
That One Guy
badseed wrote:
i have him on steam. he's been active 8 months ago.

That One Guy wrote:
Can you try messaging him on Steam?

Any luck?

www.togcoding.com
DKC
It would be cool if there was a Call Admin feature - can we have that?

That One Guy
DKC wrote:

It would be cool if there was a Call Admin feature - can we have that?

Such features would require someone with access to add, which gets back to the start of this thread... : (

www.togcoding.com
Nobucketrequired
Hello Guys! I just wanted to share my point of view on the server and it's management.
I think it's safe to say that everybody is tired of having no active admin on this server. I just want to understand why is Tiger and Scooby does not give acces anybody thats a regular like The One. The server would benefit much from is input and programming knowledge but I feel like you guys just ignore all the request. You guys are never on the server so why would you not pass the torch. People keep financing the server and I still see no incentiv to make this issues change.

I think that this server needs a massive rehaul and it cannot advance if this situation stays the same for the years to come.

I will always love this server but this inaction on the admin side is getting very old and i feel like the people who own the server could at least gives some definit reason as of why those issues will not change.

respectfully
Bucket

TigerOx
As much as I am not around I do read all the posts and suggestions.

I can only see really two issues that I understand are frustrating. The Spectating players in the vote counts for RTV and Voteban. Also the lack of map updates. Hardly a massive rehaul. Most of the plugins on the server were made or customized by me. I have to locate old source code and make these changes. It will eventually get fixed.

The Funtimes/Iceworld server will never get map voting. The DM Turbo server has it and players did not like all the options, hence why the Funtimes/Iceworld server is the only one still populated. I have added most of the maps suggested here. Not many have been requested. Our map rotation is player number based already.

Other new feature requests do get considered. Some have been tried many years ago so we do know what works. DoGz used to host thousands of players each day when CS was popular.

All of our members have admin access and admin access will remain for our DoGz members only.

We are still running after 16 years and it does take work to keep things going. Even if you might not see the work directly. I value our donors and players and I believe DoGz continues to stand by our original GunGame model that is still enjoyed after all this time.

TigerOx

That One Guy
Thank you for the response, TigerOx. And it is nice to know you read the posts and consider them. I can definitely understand not having all the time in the world to address changes, though if you've gone through the trouble to read the posts, please consider replying.

I also understand not necessarily wanting to hand out access to the server, and fearing someone might mess it up and repeat past mistakes. Regarding my name being suggested for server access, I wanted to be clear that I am not seeking access to server files or anything. It isn't necessary to help someone whom you trust walk through whatever server changes are needed/approved (though it certainly simplifies things).

If the hold up is that you want to review a proposed edit to a plugin's code yourself, can I make it easier by editing your plugin as needed and you can easily compare the code changes with notepad++ compare function?

TLDR: It would really be nice to see RTV functional.

As an aside, there is also a really annoying bug with Roll The Dice where about half or a third of the time it doesnt let you re-roll after 30 seconds and it just bugs out for the the rest of the map. This adds to the difficulty if you are already stuck on knife. I had the same plugin (and bug) on another server and fixed it easy enough, and would love to help get that fixed here as well.

www.togcoding.com
Jump to Forum: