Balance: $9.33
Left to go: $90.67

Click here to expand donation informationCurrent Donations
View Thread
DoGz Gaming Clan » Public Forums » Other Games
 Print Thread
MW3 Review/Discussion
Herpes
I am apart of a student organization that runs its own tv show about pop/nerd/geek culture, technology, science, and comedy. Think of the Big Bang Theory, just with actual students and low budget as hell. I'm thinking of creating a news/discussion segment that runs ideally like Top Gear, and right now I'm shooting for a discussion about MW3 (on the PC) and the Modern Warfare franchise as a whole. These are a few thoughts. Any other things? Points? Counter-points?

Don't worry about grammar, etc. Most of our work is unscripted, I'm just trying to get thoughts down.

____

To be honest, I've played through the MW3 singleplayer and I thought it was pretty good. It was short, running about 5 hours compared to MW2's 6.5-7 hours. I liked the story, it was better told than MW2 in that you didn't have problems figuring out who you were playing as and why, it did tie up a lot of loose ends and referenced the series as a whole.

However, in the multiplayer realm, is where I've come to hate playing in a matter of hours. The netcode for MW3 is horrible like MW2 with the peer-to-peer networking. I honestly think this is the gateway for all of the complaints for the MW series. With lag-ridden hosts you are essentially dying after the fact that you're already dead on another person's screen. I find shots/kills/knifes are registering up to a half second after the fact on some hosts, which is completely irritating. +1 for the Dedicated Server argument. (I could expand on this point a lot.)

As a whole, I've found the whole MW series has become more convoluted. In the pure, clean CoD4 you selected a perk, a weapon and attachment, and hopped into a server and that was that. MW2 introduced the leveling of perks and their various effects, losing the simple idea of selecting a perk and run with it. In MW3 it runs on the same principle as MW3, but they've gone so far as to adding proficiencies for each weapon such as Hard Kick, etc which allow for reduced recoil. These proficiencies were once tied to the perks you could select in CoD4/MW2, but now are completely separate. All in all, I find that this "leveling" and "customizable" aspect are more of a hindrance to the game play as it doesn't provide all players to be on the same level, dare I call it an imbalance.

In the multiplayer maps I've come them pretty busy, as in there is a lot of things in the map that allow for way too many nooks, crannies, and waypoints that seem to encourage way too much camping. Combined with the weird spawning points, you constantly have to check your back for someone to run up behind you. All in all, I find that the maps, spawning, and gameplay don't flow through the map at all, it is simply a bunch of random skirmishes in a map, leading to a breakdown and tactical "team" kind of gameplay.

The player models are the next biggest complaint: It is hard to tell who is on which team at a glance, and it seems that on some maps the player models are so close and indistinguishable you can only tell who they are by the color of the uniform: Gray, or light tan. Which, at a distance, is nearly indistinguishable especially in the poor lighting that the MW2/3 engine runs on.

All in all: If you're looking for a good conclusion to the MW singleplayer, MW3 does a good closing act to the chaotic and multiple personality disorder-esque story of MW2, set alight in CoD4. However, if you're looking for the sweet, simple, unadulterated experience and multiplayer experience that set the bar high with CoD4, you will be utterly disappointed with laggy netcode, the confusing/complex/convoluted player set ups, and gameplay that is simply a bunch of constant random skirmishes instead of a team gameplay, MW3 is not for you. In the end, I've found that MW3 is not worth the $60 for the great (yet short) singleplayer, and definitely not the greatest multiplayer experience known to man (yet extremist fanboyism will always create a claim for MW2/3 in the sales numbers alone). Overall, MW3 did provide closure to the MW series, but in the same time when I look at the gaming experience created in MW3 compared to CoD4, I mourn the pile of trash it has become.

If MW3 "par excellence" to the gaming industry to this date, I fear what video games/online experiences will become in the future.
Edited by Herpes on 14-11-2011 13:37
Provehito In Altum - Launch Forth Into the Deep!

img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/herpes/siggy5.jpg

"Maybe Steve Irwin should have worn sun screen. It would have protected him from harmful rays."

Batty
*raises the roof* I make better maps then Infinity Ward
Please feel free to comment on my Map Upload threads. Your comments and suggestions help me make better maps for the DoGz!!
P.S. Click the Banner for instant teleportationism to the BattyMaps section of the forum! =3
i778.photobucket.com/albums/yy63/bailey_bat/BattyMapsSig.gif

Jump to Forum: